Friday, August 22, 2008

High on Protein

Ok, I been slacking long enough, so the hunt begins for some yummy high protein dishes that a simple man like me can cook (I can make three things really good, one of which is toasted balogna sandwiches). Tami has had to be on a high protein diet for most of her journey, she has been supplementing thru tuna lunch kits, yogurt and cottage cheese. I have found a couple good websites with some good sounding recipes but if any of you (and I hope some of you visit from Tami's site see this) please post some recipes for me, or email them to me at loewen@mchsi.com.

Thanks to Mike B here at work for the suggestion of thin strips of raw steak dipped in a mustard sauce, while its an easy recipe I don't think I could talk Tami into that one, heck it even made me throw up a little in my mouth. :P

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Norm, I suggested to tami that she have you marinade and bake a few chicken breasts at a time, she could do a chicken salad w/ some egg, chicken, mayo, and relish... Also, in some of the original info. you got from the first trip to mayo, and info from the first trip to the nutritionist, there were several good suggestions for adding protein and calories by way of condiments and supplements...protein powder sprinkled in EVERYTHING!!!! Anyway, not tons of help, but good luck!!! Oh, I need to give you my chicken stroganoff recipe, pretty darn high in protein, and it can crockpot on low for the day, so it's super quick!

ttfn!

Anonymous said...

Buy a protein powder you can mix with milk (not for cooking with). Very important to look for something that is made of "undenatured whey protein", as it supplies an ingredient that is helpful for many body functions including the immune system. Stir it into milk, but do not heat or use a mechanical mixer as it changes the molecule shape into something unusable by the body. If you want to do research, check out the keyword glutathione. I use SISU chocolate whey protein powder which happens to be delicious and mixes fairly easily (have to leave it sitting for a while).

Nuts are another good source of protein and great snacks. If you get brazil nuts still in the shell, they are high in selenium (which is also an important element for the immune system). Pre-shelled brazil nuts typically come from a country that has low selenium in their soil, so they're not that good.

As for an actual meal, try to see what you can hack up with eggs. It's usually fast and easy. My favorites to make are omelettes -- infinite variety and you can use your imagination (and whatever is left over in the fridge) with some creative seasonings. Also minimum cleanup.

And don't forget to eat some fruit at the end of the meal if you are eating meat -- it neutralizes some of the carcinogens in the stomach before it gets into the bloodstream.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

This is the stuff which my dad used to make when we were kids, to help my sister's protein intake.

Mix together equal portions of peanut butter and chocolate flavored powdered whey protein. Add honey to taste. Spread in a pan and refrigerate until stiff like fudge.

I hope your cooking skills are better than Marc's!

Kuri